Monday, September 17, 2012

Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur

In class today, I misspoke. I believe I said Yom Kippur began today. 
In Latin, I would say: mea culpa (my error). 

So, to be clear: 

Rosh Hashanah begins the night of Sunday September 16, 2012.
Yom Kippur begins the night of Tuesday September 25, 2012.



Rosh Hashanah - Jewish New Year


Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Year festival and commemorates the creation of the world. This day is the beginning of the Jewish High Holidays, which are very sacred in Jewish tradition. 

http://www.factmonster.com/spot/rosh-hashanah.html


Yom Kippur - the Day of Atonement (atonement = an act or deed that pays for a wrongdoing)

Yom Kippur, the most sacred and solemn day of the Jewish year, brings the Days of Repentance to a close. As well as fasting for 25 hours, Jews spend the day in prayer, asking for forgiveness and resolving to behave better in the future.



For extra credit, email me at cware@ojaiusd.org and tell me one fact you learned from each link. Make sure you are clear about which fact is for which holiday.
In the subject line, make sure to put your name (first and last). 

No comments:

Post a Comment